Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Head, shoulders, knees and toes.....

AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN!! It all hurts!!! Last week I had my first lifting session with Anne (trainer). We did legs. She decided that since I have a history with weightlifting (not kids) that instead of machines she would have me doing free weights. I'm OK with that. I have done free weights before with my dad during high school. My problem with this is.....the stinky room and stinky boys that stay in there... These guys grunt, sweat and throw weights around like barbarians. I'm totally out of my element. Actually, just being in a gym is out of my element lol. So, anyways, the first workout went good. We had a few instances in which I was thoroughly embarrassed at how out of shape I have allowed myself to become. The following 3 days were horrible. Our laundry room is downstairs. There are 6 people in our house. I'm the only one that does laundry soooo I was forced to use the stairs a lot. There were a few times that my legs actually gave out and I had to catch myself. Right about the time they got better I had another session with Anne. We did a few leg exercises but spent most of our time on arms. Again, in the stinky room with the stinky boys. She also feels the need to have me look in the mirror every time I do something. Its torture but also very good motivation. So, overall, the fitness regimen is going well. I have lost 5 lbs and dont almost pass out when I try to button my pants.

OK, switch moods. Next subject, Kids. Seriously? Amy and Skylar used to be the best of friends. He was always looking out for her and she would follow him around like a lost puppy. Then...BAM...they hate each other. No, really, they do. It got so bad over the weekend that he actually went in for her neck with his hands and she left TERRIBLE scratch marks down his arms. What has happened? Is this just a preview of my future? What is it going to be like when I have 4 teenagers if its like this now??? I'm not sure Ill be able to handle it. I will probably spend every minute of every day in prayer no matter where I am. Home, work, school, hospital, jail, padded room.....

OK Cybil, switch moods again. After high school I went on a missions trip to Guatemala. It was an amazing experience that ended up doing more of a work in me than I think I anticipated doing for others while on the trip. On this trip I met an amazingly awesome man. He had such a passion for these people. I remember him not knowing ANY Spanish at all but doing everything he could think of to communicate with these people. We were stopped on a road (for lack of a better word) and he got off the bus to go talk to some truckers. Again, he knew no Spanish at all but his goal was to show and spread Gods love to these people. He used something as small as his watch to start conversations with them. His joy and love and hope for people overflowed onto everyone around him. He was such an inspiration to me. Bernie Grieser is one of the most Godly men I have ever met. This man can start to speak of people he loves and cares about and begin crying out of nowhere. Such a big heart and passion for Gods people. He paved of the way for all of the future missionaries that went forward after us in Guatemala. He learned Spanish so that he could speak it fluently. He has a beautiful wife Sheri. They are the married couple that you look at and say "Wow, I want to be that in love after being married for that long." These two have truly played a big role in my spiritual walk. Last night, in his sleep, Bernie passed away. The Lord finally called him home after a long battle with cancer. The world lost an incredible man, father, husband, grandfather, and friend. I count it an honor to have known him. He has heard those beautiful words "Well done my good and faithful servant" and he is now resting in our Fathers arms.

Thats all.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your friend, Brooke. Our thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete